"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
-Mahatma Gandhi
Changing the world one precious Child at a time.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Constitution

Today I had a teaching social studies class, and we were discussing different aspects of the constitution, and our teacher had us do different activities, but as we were doing these, I had an idea. I didn't share it in class, and I am still not sure if it is even a good idea, and I have been thinking about it for the past couple of hours, and then remembered I had a blog. So parents and educators, what do you think?
If I teach 3rd grade, maybe 2nd, (this idea would benefit 4th-6th too) I would have the kids make up their own rules and consequences. That is a given, if they make it, then they will more likely follow it. Students would feel like they were a part of a class union, rather than part of a dictatorship, right? This is not a new concept... So instead of just making rules We would make a class constitution. The rules we would make would have the same goals as stated in the preamble-
"We the people of the United States,
in order to form a more perfect union,
establish justice,
insure domestic tranquility,
provide for the common defense,
promote the general welfare,
and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity,
do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."-
So we would use 6 main categories, and establish rules according to those six categories. I wouldn't word the categories the same for example- instead of insure domestic tranquility, We could use "maintain a peaceful classroom" such no hitting, sharing, listening to the teacher, etc. We would do this for the six different categories. Once we establish the law, we could then separate the powers. The students made the laws (congress), then I would be the enforce the law since I am the teacher, then if an incidence occurs that is not included in the Constitution, (and if it doesn't require confidentiality) than I as the executive could appoint impartial judges, who the class (congress)would approve of, and they would be able to interpret, or ammend our class constitution. The constitution would be drafted on the first day of school, and I would give a little background information, but I wouldn't explain everything about the constitution, These ideas would come from the Children at my suggestion. After the children have seen it in action for a couple of months, and the Constitution lesson came up, all I would have to do, is show them our constitution and allow the students to make those connections, because they will have already learned everything through experience. I also thought it would be fun to make a draft of our class constitution, and make a feather pen, and on the second day of school have the children sign it one by one, that way they are responsible for it. I will post it in the classroom as a reminder to follow the rules. I don't know... What are your thoughts? (I am really sorry if i didn't explain myself well)

2 comments:

  1. I think it is a practical way to teach kids how the government works and at the same time help them take an active approach in making a difference a) in their classroom, and possibly b) as they grow up and become active members of society. Start young! GOOD IDEA! Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Great Blog. I am happy to contribute. I barley keep mine up to date so we shall see how many times I really make a valid contribution. Love ya. We are coming in March at spring break. Hope to see you on the Island.

    ReplyDelete